Nigeria’s Farmcrowdy is the only African company in the 2017 Class of Techstars Atlanta, in partnership with Cox Enterprises. Onyeka Akumah’s crowdfunding for small-scale agriculture company is one of the ten companies selected from applications for the program which came fromÂ 42 countries with over a third from international companies.Â Techstars Atlanta saw the most applications from Nigeria, Israel, India and the U.K.
Techstars is a worldwide network that helps entrepreneurs succeed, and strong partners and mentors help make this happen.
This new class will now begin an intensive, three-month bootcamp-style program, with weekly mentor meetings, classes and training in subjects ranging from marketing to sales to funding, and technical and business support. They will work out ofÂ Techstars Atlantaâ€™sÂ Ponce City Market space.
The program culminates in Demo Day on Oct. 10, where the companies make their pitch to hundreds of investors.
Building a diverseÂ cohort was important to the Techstars Atlanta team, saysÂ Tyler Scriven,Â Techstars Atlantaâ€™s Managing Director.
â€œTechstars overall seeks to include diversity, whether its related to the founderâ€™s company idea, ethnicity or gender,â€� said Scriven. â€œIâ€™m proud that our 2017 class captures these areas, as well as geographic diversity. A variety of perspectives and cultures helps us build better companies.â€�
Here are the 2017 companies for Techstars Atlanta, in partnership with Cox Enterprises:
- 2ULaundryÂ | Charlotte, NC | On-demand laundry and dry cleaning services.
- BloveitÂ | Atlanta, GA | Curated date night experiences.
- Collider TechÂ | Chattanooga, TN | Stand-alone, end-to-end additive manufacturing technology.
- FarmcrowdyÂ | Lagos, Nigeria | Crowdfunding for small-scale agriculture.
- FraudmarcÂ | Atlanta, GA | Cyber security service aimed at protecting corporate identity.
- Landing LionÂ | Atlanta, GA | Landing pages for the modern marketer.
- MoQualityÂ | Atlanta, GA | AI platform for mobile QA.
- TheMonetizrÂ | Riga, Latvia | In-game monetization platform for merchandise purchases.
- Rapid RMSÂ | Chattanooga, TN | Retail POS system for fuel service stations and convenience stores.
- VlipsyÂ | Canton, OH | Video clip soundboard.
Techstars global portfolio of more than 1,000 companies have raised over $3.5 billion in funding, andÂ last yearâ€™s Techstars Atlanta classÂ has raised over $7 million. Nearly 75 percent of Techstars graduate companies receive follow-on funding and/or became profitable soon after program end.
The post Onyeka Akumah’s Farmcrowdy is part of the 2017 Class of Techstars Atlanta appeared first on Innovation Village.